Monday 29 April 2013

Then comes marriage...

Planning a country wedding was no small task, but as with most things in life, the best things usually come with more than a little hard work.

It seems like a lifetime ago now, but 7 years ago my love and I decided to take the ultimate test of true love - plan an outdoor wedding on my parents' farm. Now wedding planning isn't easy at the best of times, but when you are the site co-ordinator you have no one to take care of the little things (like, say, where your guests will go when nature calls!) So not only did we have to sort out a tent, a caterer, and a photographer, but port-a-potties, chairs, and a back-up plan in case the weather didn't co-operate. It was a big job that the whole family got involved in, but I am happy to say well worth it!
As I tell many newly engaged couples now, it is my humble opinion that it is not the actual ceremony that makes you bonded forever as a partnership, but the process of deciding all the details of such an important and personal event together. You learn things about how to compromise, delegate, and what is truly important to your partner during the wedding planning process. Things you need to know how to do to weather future storms.
Last summer I helped a friend plan her own backyard wedding. We brainstormed where to find items that would add to the ambience of the event, such as mason jars for cold drinks and bunting garland to spruce up the tent. This got me to thinking of my own stash of vintage items and bunting strings I was already producing for kid's rooms and nurseries...
Check out HEM design online to follow our progress as we add to our selection of custom wedding decor items and vintage (or vintage inspired) items for rent for your wedding or special event! If anyone knows about how to source hard to find items for that rustic farm wedding feel its a country bride with a devotion to thrift stores (aka me!)
Special thanks to Liane Bergen who photographed our special day. You can find her online at http://www.lianebergen.com/ where you will find a gallery of her work and links to her other social media sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment